– 1 yellow onion, diced
– 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
– 2 teaspoons avocado oil
– 3 sprigs fresh thyme
– 4 bay leaves
– 1 (15-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
– 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
– 2 cups pumpkin, cut into 2-inch cubes
– ½ cup split peas
– 1 ear of corn, cut lengthwise into 2-inch pieces
– 2 green plantains, cut into 2-inch pieces
– 2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– Juice and zest of 2 lemons
– 1 cup okra, cut into 2-inch pieces
– 1 habanero pepper
In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, place the onion, scallions, garlic, and oil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and taking care not to burn the garlic. Add 1 cup of water and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add the thyme, bay leaves, coconut milk, broth, pumpkin, and split peas, and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. Next, add the corn, plantains, tomatoes, salt, and lemon juice and zest, and cook for 30 minutes.
Add the okra and habanero and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.
If you can’t find the vegetables the recipe calls for, think of this as a “use what you have on hand” stew. Try it and let us know what you think!